I’ve received a few requests for a tutorial on the “Tears of Joy” tissue holders that I featured in my DIY Wedding Ideas post. Well, you got your wish! Here is a real down and dirty tutorial on how to make these sweet wedding favors.
(Disclaimer: Every brain works differently, so you may come up with a much easier way to make these. This is just how I put them together!)
1. Make a template in Word. You will need one page for the Name & Date section and a second page for the “Tears of Joy” section. Here is a screen shot of my template.
2. Print out a sample of the first page. This will be used to make a guide.
3. Time to start folding. (It’s going to start to feel like you are making an origami, but I swear its way easier :P)
First, make a horizontal fold directly under the Name & Date. Next, fold the top of the paper down about an inch, so the flap is on the outside.
4. Turn the template over. Fold the top of the paper down about an inch with the flap on the outside (the two flaps should be similar in size).
At this point, if you turned the paper sideways it should look something like this.
5. Give it some wings. Fold both sides of the paper inward (make sure they are even).
6. Secure the flaps together. I interlocked the flaps so the paper stayed shut without having to use an adhesive.
7. Printing the second page onto the template. Now that all of the folding is complete, you need to figure out how to print the “Tears of Joy” part. I started out by writing TEST on my template so I knew where and what direction the wording needed to be.
8. Unfold the paper. Now you know where the “Tears of Joy” needs to be printed on the paper (refer to my screen shot above). Here is the tricky part. Every printer is different, so you will need to play around with how to feed your paper into the printer so the “Tears of Joy” matches up with the TEST below.
9. Almost done! Once you learn how your paper needs to be fed, print off page one and then feed the same paper through the printer again to print page two. Repeat steps 2-6 and add a little tissue :)
10. Finished product! Here are how my “Tears of Joy” tissue holders looked on the Big Day.
I purchased my tissues from http://platesandnapkins.com/ They have hundreds of cute themes to choose from!
If you have any additional questions or would like me to send you my Word templates feel free to email me.