I’m back again with another festive gluten-free goodie! I shared this recipe earlier in the week over at This HeArt of Mine’s 25 Days of Cookies Event and I thought I would share it here too!
I’ve always had a sweet tooth, I blame it on my mom who always had homemade cookies around the house when I was growing up. To this day every time I go for a visit there are always plates of goodies around. I must have learned something from my mom (make that A LOT) because now I too always have something sweet baking in the oven. For those of you who are new around here, about 2.5 years ago baking got a little complicated when I found out I was gluten-intolerant, egg-intolerant AND soy-intolerant. Even though I was so thankful to finally feel healthy, I was devastated at the thought of never having a freshly baked cookie or piece of chocolate cake again. Once I adjusted to my new lifestyle I made it my goal to learn how to bake for myself with my new diet and not only make something edible, but make something that tasted DELICIOUS.
Here is my recipe for Gluten Free Frosted Ginger Cookies! They are perfect for the holidays and you won’t be able to keep the top on the cookie jar.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup pure molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer + 2 Tbsp. of water (or 1 large egg)
- 1 tsp. Gluten-Free Vanilla
- 2 cups of Bob’s All Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. Ginger
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 tsp. All-Spice
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 tbsp. milk ( I use rice milk)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (or more)
- Combine brown sugar, melted butter, molasses, vanilla and egg replacer together and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, blend all dry ingredients together.
- Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the sugar/butter mixture until finished.
- Cover the bowl and chill for 1-2 hours.
- When you are ready to make the cookies remove the dough from refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place walnut-size balls of cookie dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. The outsides will be crispy while the centers are soft and chewy!
- In a large bowl combine melted butter, powdered sugar and milk.
- Using a hand blender, blend until smooth.
- Add additional powdered sugar until you get the thickness you want.
- Once the cookies are cool, place the frosting in a piping bag ( I use a plastic one that cost me $5, it doesn’t have to be fancy!)
- Using the piping bag, decorate your cookies with the design of your choice. Time to get creative :)
If you are interested in more gluten-free recipes, you can find them all here!