Hello Friends! In case you missed it, yesterday I shared a some Patriotic Chocolates that would make a great addition to your Fourth of July BBQ and today I’m here with another summer recipe. These Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies with Berry Buttercream Frosting are not only appropriate for July 4th, but they would be delicious all summer long! They are full of flavor and there is nothing better than fresh fruit in the summer heat.
|GF Shortbread Cookies with Berry Buttercream Frosting|
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookie Mix
- 1 Large Egg Yolk (I used 1 tsp Egg Replacer + 2 Tbsp water since I don’t eat eggs)
- 2 Cups Butter
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Blue Berries
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Strawberries Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Water
- Make the Shortbread Cookies according to the Bob’s Red Mill Package which includes 1 1/2 sticks of butter and 1 large egg yolk (or egg replacer).
- Beat or in a food processor combine the ingredients until the dough is crumbly (like the picture below).
- Separate the dough in half.
- Form half of the dough into a ball and roll it out onto a clean surface. Use GF flour to keep it from sticking.
- Use a circle cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
- Pick up the dough scraps, form a new ball and roll out again.
- Repeat process until all of the dough is used.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes at 375.
- To make the frosting, using an electric mixer blend together 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup powdered sugar until creamy.
- Separate the frosting mix into two bowls.
- Add the 1/2 cup blueberries to one bowl and 1/2 chopped strawberries to the other.
- Mix the berries into the frosting but don’t over mix.
- Note, the juices from the berries will make the frosting thinner. To make it thicker add more powdered sugar until you get the consistency that you like.
- Once the cookies cool, frost the cookies and place remaining fresh berries on top.
The dough will be crumbly at first glance but once you pick it up it should easily form a ball. If it is still too crumbly, add a tsp of water at a time.
And here is my confession, I am a huge cookie dough fan. It’s a problem. I bet I could make 3-5 more cookies per batch if I could stop eating the dough. This was my first time using Bob’s Shortbread Cookie Mix and I was shocked by how delicious the dough was. It was so sweet and savory, I honestly didn’t think I was going to end up with any dough left over to bake with!
Roll the dough out onto a clean surface or in between wax paper. 1/4″ thick works perfect for these cookies. In the past I’ve had problems with GF doughs and this one was really easy to work with!
Using a round cookie cutter (or shape of your choice) cut the dough and place it onto a ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for about 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown.
The fresh berry buttercream mixed with the shortbread cookie made them taste like mini strawberry shortcakes. They were really delicious.
I’ve always been a huge fan of Bob’s Red Mill, but I have to say the Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookie Mix is now at the top of the list. The cookies were crisp yet soft in the middle and had the perfect shortbread flavoring. This will definitely be a mix I will use in the future with different recipes (or this one again!). I should also mention that these were a hit with my husband, a non-gf eater. Your friends and family won’t even know the difference!
So get baking :)
Thank you to Bob’s Red Mill for providing me with the GF Shortbread Cookie Mix for this recipe.
This is going to be what I make for my sister! It’s perfect!
MMM… those look scrumptious! Especially with the fruit on top :-)
dang girl! these look too awesome!
These are little beauties! So natural and fresh looking too. I love shortbread cookies so much, especially combined with buttercream!
Aimee - ItsOverflowing says
These look GREAT! Pinning it! XO, Aimee
This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing, pinned for a later date!
Delonna @ Chick Flick Diva says
Looks yummy. Just stopping by via Red, White and You to say HI. I am following you now. Look forward to future post.
The Sisters says
YUMMMM! Thanks for linking up to “Strut Your Stuff Saturday!” Hopefully we’ll see you tomorrow at 8pm MDT for this week’s party! :) -The Sisters
Nom dot com!
have a great weekend!
Has anyone tried this substituting something natural for the powdered sugar?