You can never have too many fun treats around the holidays! Today I’m joining a group of bloggers and sharing some of our favorite Christmas Treats with you! I decided to make these Deconstructed Apple Pie Bites that you could serve as an easy treat at a holiday party! Sometimes all a bite is all you need! I also show you how I made them gluten and dairy free so our whole family could eat them!
Deconstructed Apple Pie Bites
I love bite size appetizer and desserts for many reason, 1) they are easy to eat while socializing at a party 2) Sometimes you just want ONE bite and 3) they are just so darn cute sometimes!
Apple pie is a favorite around our house, especially during the holidays so I decided to create little deconstructed apple pie bites as a simple treat for upcoming holiday parties for just something special for the family. I always like to have a special dessert in my back pocket for when we go places around this time of year since my kiddos normally can’t eat any of the treats when we go out to parties.
These were a TOTAL hit with my kiddos. They loved that they were their size AND that I can make them gluten and dairy free and they still taste good :)
Gluten Free and Dairy Free Apple Pie Bites
I started out with my favorite gluten free pie crust mix! The only thing I would say about this crust is that it isn’t very sweet, in fact it can be a little bitter ( maybe that’s not the best way to describe it, but it could use a little sweetener). SO, for this sweet apple pie recipe I added a little cinnamon and vanilla to the crust.
Like the box suggests, I divided it into two balls and then placed it in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Then I rolled it out and used a small glass to make circles in the dough,
Place them on a cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
While the mini crusts are baking, get your filling ready! Peel and chop up about 5 Granny Smith apples and put them in a pot with 3 Tablespoons of oil. Add in cinnamon and sugars and let it simmer fora bout 5-8 minutes. Stir every few minutes.
Once they are soft, put 1 Tablespoon of corn starch in the filling to thicken it up a bit!
Let the filling cool for a few minutes and then spoon a little onto each crust.
To make these dairy free for my kids, I found this amazing Coconut Whip Cream and it’s SOOOOOO good. I randomly found it at the grocery store a few months ago and I was so excited. The only thing is that it seems to get stuck easy, so I feel like I have to throw away half the can! Ugh!
Top with a little bit of cinnamon and you are ready to serve!
Apple Pie Bites Recipe
- King Arthur Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix
- 1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla
- 5 Granny Smith Apples peeled and cubed
- ¼ Cup White Sugar
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon of Corn Starch
- Whip Cream
- *gluten free flour for surface
- Mix the pie crust according to the package and add in 1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon and 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla.
- Like the box suggests, divid it into two balls and then placed it in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Cover your surface with gluten free flour and roll out your dough.
- Use a round cookie cutter or small glass to create your circles.
- Place them on a cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
- While the mini crusts are baking, get your filling ready!
- Peel and chop up about 5 Granny Smith apples and put them in a pot with 3 Tablespoons of oil.
- Add in cinnamon and sugars and let it simmer fora bout 5-8 minutes. Stir every few minutes.
- Once they are soft, put 1 Tablespoon of corn starch in the filling to thicken it up a bit!
- Let the filling cool for a few minutes and then spoon a little onto each crust.
- Top with whip cream.
- Add a little bit of cinnamon and you are ready to serve!
Pin for later!
Tons More Christmas Treats
4 Minute Decadent Microwave Fudge by Ella Claire | Gluten/Dairy Free Rice Krispies Christmas Trees by Zevy Joy | Dipped Marshmallows by My Sweet Savannah | Individual Chocolate Souffle by Town and Country Living | Santa Munch Christmas Popcorn by Tidy Mom
Mini Skillet Cookie Cakes by Inspired by Charm | Cinnamon Buns by So Much Better with Age | Peanut Butter Fudge by Anderson + Grant | Peppermint Brownies by Nina Hendrick Design Co. | Deconstructed Apple Pie Bites by Taryn Whiteaker
Christmas Energy Snack Bites by Nest of Posies | Peppermint Bark by Boxwood Avenue | Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles by Tidbits | Keto Cinnamon Sugar Pecans by Home Stories A to Z | Candy Cane Pretzels by My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia