Not only am I sharing a yummy Halloween treat today, but it’s also just in time for National Chocolate Cupcake Day! My kind of holiday. How will you be celebrating today? Well, if you need a suggestion I recommend these Chocolate Spider web Cupcakes. They are super easy, quite yummy and perfect for this time of year.
Yes, these are a little creepy but I think they can be cute at the same time! And if you are trying to get your kids to stay away from the sweets, just keep these around. My daughter was so scared of the spiders that she ran out of the room every time I offered her a cupcake :)
Start by making a basic chocolate cupcake (my recipe is below). Then cream together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk for the frosting. Set aside 1/4 cup of the cream cheese frosting in separate bowl and add cocoa powder, vanilla and milk. Make sure the chocolate frosting is on the thinner side so it is easier to draw the ‘webs’. Place it into a plastic bag and cut a very tiny hole in the tip.
Frost your cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting. Take the bag filled with chocolate frosting and place a dot of frosting in the center of the cupcake and then make two additional circles. Place a toothpick in the center circle and draw a line to the outside of the cupcake.
I placed my cupcakes in festive cupcake liners I found at the Dollar Tree and topped them off with glitter spiders I found at the grocery store. I just hope I don’t find any of these in my bed any time soon!
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs (I use Ener-G Egg Replacer)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (only if making them gluten-free)
- 1 1/2 cups flour ( I use gluten-free flour mix)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 butter
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together eggs, sugar, vanilla and water.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the above mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Line a cupcake tin with liners and fill them 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until you can pull a toothpick out clean.
- Cream together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and butter for the frosting.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of the cream cheese frosting in separate bowl and add cocoa powder, vanilla and milk. Make sure the chocolate frosting is on the thinner side so it is easier to make the ‘webs’. If the frosting is too thick, it won’t spread easily.
- Place the chocolate frosting into a plastic bag and cut a very tiny hole in the tip.
- Frost your cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting.
- Take the bag filled with chocolate frosting and place a dot of frosting in the center of the cupcake and then make two additional circles.
- Place a toothpick in the center circle and draw a line to the outside of the cupcake. Repeat until the ‘web’ is formed.
- Garnish with spiders!
What do you think, creepy or cute?
cute, fun , yummy, Halloween fun
Christina at I Gotta Create! says
Those look awesome Taryn! A perfect Halloween treat :)
Nicky - pinkrecipebox.com says
What a fantastic way of decorating Halloween cupcakes – so simple, too. Love it :)
Cute & creepy, I love that your daughter ran :) Stopping by from weekend wrap up
Ohhh these are so cute, I love them!!!! Adorable!
They look so perfectly good!
I would love to have you join my new link party Wednesday Extravaganza! Come by and share this or other recipes. Here is the link
Can’t wait to see you there!
I have a weakness for cupcakes! These look so yummy!
These look awesome! Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop http://www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you’d like to follow each other!