What a beautiful weekend it was here in Seattle! I loved being outside and taking advantage of the sunny weather. In-between working in the yard and walks to the park, these Chocolate Cookies with Peanut Butter Frosting were the perfect snack! I made the recipe gluten-free/egg-free but you could easily make them ‘regular’ if you wanted to. Enjoy!
|Chocolate Cookies with Salted Peanut Butter Frosting|
- 1 1/2 cups flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Flour Mix)
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs (I use Ener-G Egg Replacer)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla (If making GF, make sure you use pure vanilla)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum (if making these GF)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp of Salt for topping
- Combine sugars, eggs, butter, and vanilla together and mix until smooth
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and slowly add them to the sugar/butter mixture
- Using an electric mixer, blend the two mixtures together until creamy
- Roll the dough into 1″ rounds and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
- To make the peanut butter frosting, using an electric mixer combine peanut butter, butter, milk, vanilla and confectioners sugar
- Depending on the consistency of your peanut butter you may need anywhere from 2-3 cups of confectioners sugar
- Keep adding sugar until the frosting is thick enough to stand on its own and sweet enough to your liking
- Once the cookies have cooled, frost the cookies with the peanut butter frosting and sprinkle a little sea salt on top for a sweet and salty taste!
If you have a peanut allergy or want to keep them simple, the chocolate cookies are also yummy without the peanut butter frosting!
Mmm peanut butter and chocolate, one of the best flavor combos ever!
Just a pinch of sea salt was just the right touch to these cookies. I’m generally not a fan of salt, but I have to admit I’m glad I tried the salt because it created the perfect sweet and salty taste!