GF Shortbread Cookies with Berry Buttercream Frosting
Recipe type: Dessert
- Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookie Mix
- 1 Large Egg Yolk (I used 1 tsp Egg Replacer + 2 Tbsp water since I don't eat eggs)
- 2 Cups Butter
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- ¾ Cup Fresh Blue Berries
- ¾ Cup Fresh Strawberries Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Water
- Make the Shortbread Cookies according to the Bob's Red Mill Package which includes 1½ sticks of butter and 1 large egg yolk (or egg replacer).
- Beat or in a food processor combine the ingredients until the dough is crumbly (like the picture below).
- Separate the dough in half.
- Form half of the dough into a ball and roll it out onto a clean surface. Use GF flour to keep it from sticking.
- Use a circle cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
- Pick up the dough scraps, form a new ball and roll out again.
- Repeat process until all of the dough is used.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes at 375.
- To make the frosting, using an electric mixer blend together ½ cup butter and 1 cup powdered sugar until creamy.
- Separate the frosting mix into two bowls.
- Add the ½ cup blueberries to one bowl and ½ chopped strawberries to the other.
- Mix the berries into the frosting but don't over mix.
- Note, the juices from the berries will make the frosting thinner. To make it thicker add more powdered sugar until you get the consistency that you like.
- Once the cookies cool, frost the cookies and place remaining fresh berries on top.
Recipe by Taryn Whiteaker at https://tarynwhiteaker.com/gf-shortbread-cookies-with-berry-buttercream-frosting/